I'm messed up. I visited Zimbabwe last year, and was wrecked for orphans. Both the good and the bad news is that I am still wrecked. Mark and I can't hear orphan statistics and distance ourselves from it. We can't live in indifference.
On that trip, the faces of orphans became real. With little hands tucked into mine, I knew immediately that I could no longer act if I was doing enough for orphans. Orphans weren't statistics. They were children who stole chunks of my heart:
(found in on a doorstep,
who held my face in his hands and kissed my cheeks)
(who beamed as she showed me pots
used to cook over an open fire)
(whose tears streamed down her cheeks)
(who has seen and lived too much, and who never took her eyes off me)
With the sound of giggles in my ears and the sights of children with ragged clothes filling my senses, I developed a sense of urgency to
DO SOMETHING.
DO SOMETHING.
Last spring, I asked you to help make wishes come true, and you did that in a big, big way. You donated three jumbo boxes of supplies for these kids who had crushed me. We did it!
The next piece of bad and good news is that we can't check off the "charity" box on our to do list. For us, we want it to be a lifestyle. We also know that we have friends with BIG, BIG hearts, so we are going to throw out another opportunity to show some love.
Our church is taking another team to Zimbabwe, so we have a chance to meet more needs. Will you join us in compiling:
1. children's vitamins
2. children's pain reliever
3. children's cough/cough/allergy meds
(tablet or liquid form)
4. Neosporin
5. band-aids
Store brands are great, and would mean we could buy more. The team will travel the last week in February, so we'll need them by February 13.
Show some love this Valentine's Day!
4 comments:
You are SO right! It is not a box to check. Can you believe Donna sent me the BAAS list today and I opened it to find a little boy tugging at my heart strings from Fujian!!! OM goodness. I am praying BIG about it and Scott is praying he is someone else's. :) God will do what He has already ordained!!! Miss you!!!
Love Sharon
So glad that you have a heart for kids who are hurting. I will send a check to you so that you can add your Mom and I to the list of those who want to help.
Love You
Rebecca-
We were ALT's together - about five years ago. I stumbled on our blog. I'd love to help. Please email me your address and I will send some supplies. Jessica.Appleyard@cobbk12.org or facebook message me.
Thanks for the opportunity to help!
-Jessica
Rebecca, I added these items to my shopping list and will send some asap...need your address! Oh, and you should seriously send your banner photo to Adoptive Families magazine or some other contest...it makes me smile everytime I see it!
Donna
www.handsful.com
Post a Comment