After our church service on our last day in Zimbabwe, we were given an opportunity to tour the rest of Goshen Farm. On this property are three children's homes sponsored through Hands of Hope. These homes cost only $3,000 to build. Each home houses a small group of very young children, and a nanny. It is as close to a family experience as possible.
Funds given by our team, our supporters and our church will help build another one of these homes. The dream is for this to be a community of homes.
One of these young boys was found in his home laying by his father who had passed away several days prior. He was brought to Goshen Farm by the social welfare system. Many of these kids have similar sad stories. The good news? They are loved. The women and men who work on this farm love them and care for them.
See the men and women surrounding these little sweeties? They sacrifice daily for these kids. They are on the front lines of orphan care. They sacrifice, they give, they pray and they love.
As a way to honor them and serve them, our leaders suggested a traditional foot washing ceremony. We were Americans coming in with suitcases of stuff and money to give. We wanted them to know that we honored them and their work. We had books, t-shirts, soccer balls and money to give, but we are not better. Their work is great, and ours was small.

They sang. The rain poured down. We washed. Tears filled our eyes, and our hearts were humbled yet again. It was the perfect ending.
"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. "
John 13: 12-15
John 13: 12-15
Fear. I am so grateful that I did not let it keep me from this life-altering experience. I was fearful about leaving my young daughter and husband. I was fearful about asking for support. Fearful about travelling with people that I did not know. Fearful about being completely outside of my comfort zone. Several people did not think that I should go. Most people didn't really understand. In my heart though, I knew I was meant/called to go. Fear almost kept me from going. I am thankful that it didn't.
The cool thing? We taught the kids (and ourselves) this verse:
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14



4 comments:
What a perfect way to honor these great folks. And those kids.....they are so gorgeous!!!
Wow what a way to end a heartwarming story. Love you.
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your journey. It has been amazing to read and hear about.
What an amazing journey Rebeeca! This really has been an awesome year for you!
Post a Comment