Thanks to Angela, we had the opportunity to do an early celebration of China's Autumn Moon Festival. In honor of the holiday, several Chinese adoptive moms got together to make crafts, wear traditional dresses, and eat a great lunch.Angela calls this S's "Clint Eastwood". (Maybe she is showing her unhappiness with the unreasonable wait?) We got a chance to wear our "Big Sister" t-shirt.

The girls made a moon collage and learned the Chinese word and symbol for moon.
Next, they made lanterns and stuck fall stickers on them.
All of the moms talked about how we want to make a real effort to expand our ability to make some authentic dishes. The traditional mooncakes from this festival though, may have to be ordered! They look very complicated.
We enjoyed quite the Chinese feast under our cute lanterns.
Our goal as a family is to honor, understand and appreciate Claire's birth country.
We hope to regularly participate in (and host) events like this.
The girls made a moon collage and learned the Chinese word and symbol for moon.
Next, they made lanterns and stuck fall stickers on them.
All of the moms talked about how we want to make a real effort to expand our ability to make some authentic dishes. The traditional mooncakes from this festival though, may have to be ordered! They look very complicated.
We enjoyed quite the Chinese feast under our cute lanterns.
Our goal as a family is to honor, understand and appreciate Claire's birth country.We hope to regularly participate in (and host) events like this.
Information about the Mid-Autumn Festival:
In China and throughout many Asian countries people celebrate the Harvest Moon on the 15th day of the eighth month of their lunar calendar. The date in the Western calendar changes yearly. This year, it falls on Saturday, October 3, 2009.
The Harvest Moon or Mid-Autumn Festival (Zhong Qiu Jie) is a day of family reunions much like a Western Thanksgiving. Chinese people believe that on that day, the moon is the roundest and brightest signaling a time of completeness and abundance. During the Mid-Autumn Festival, children are delighted to stay up past midnight, parading multi-colored lanterns into the wee hours as families take to the streets to moon-gaze.
The Harvest Moon or Mid-Autumn Festival (Zhong Qiu Jie) is a day of family reunions much like a Western Thanksgiving. Chinese people believe that on that day, the moon is the roundest and brightest signaling a time of completeness and abundance. During the Mid-Autumn Festival, children are delighted to stay up past midnight, parading multi-colored lanterns into the wee hours as families take to the streets to moon-gaze.
8 comments:
What a great idea! Good pictures, the kids seem so engrossed in their work.
wonderful idea. it is nice for you all to include some chinese with the kids:)
so cool, rebecca! it looks like you had a great time, too! it inspires me to get active in our local ethiopian adoption community now. i have considered it, but since we don't even have referral yet, it felt a bit premature. we have always known we would get involved once our daughter is home. i think it's great that S is learning about Chinese culture!
Looks like you guys had a wonderful time.... those girls really look into it :-)
Hey, if you get the chance, mention to Angela that I would love to be able to look at her blog, but can't any more b/c of the privacy standards...
What an amazing learning opportunity! By the way ~ there is now a Ni Hao, Kai-Lan episode about mooncakes. My son loves it!
It was so great seeing you and Sophia on Friday! What fun!
I'll forward you the mooncake recipe I have. I haven't tried it just yet. Wish me luck!
Oh, I love this! We always celebrate Chinese New Year because Emily is completely obsessed with China, but I never knew about the Autumn Moon Festival. I KNOW Emily would LOVE to celebrate this!! How great that all of the moms are making the effort to better understand China.
What a great time!! I love Sophia's "Clint Eastwood" look- that is SO funny!!
Have you seen this St@te F@rm commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnCjaOTAxI
People have been telling me that the little girl in the commercial looks just like Chloe. I had never seen it, so I googled it today. While I see what people are saying, I immediately thought she looked like your Sophia- with shorter hair. Thought I'd send it along and see what you think! :)
Post a Comment