Friday, July 31, 2009

On the Nightstand

Sophia has made our hearts swell over the last few weeks by randomly reciting her version of the beginning of the "Our Father" prayer. Mark has always said this prayer with her as part of their nighttime routine. At some point, she started saying a few of the words along with him. Now, as she is playing, she'll start softly saying her "Our Fadder" (occasionaly with a random EIEIO inserted). Nothing has ever made us more proud of our girl. At the same time, nothing has ever made us realize more what an important gig parenting is. She listens. She watches. She mimicks. That is heavy stuff. It is about more than changing diapers, washing sticky hands, putting on socks and reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear 1,000 times.

We believe in parenting with a purpose. We believe that Sophia is a gift to us from God, and that she is not ours. We are blessed to have the opportunity to care for her and guide her. We are blessed by her giggles, snuggles and joyful, energetic little self. The bigger blessing; however, is to be her example and her guide. Not to make her believe everything that we believe out of force, but to help her figure out for herself who God is. For right now, we are her only model. Again, heavy stuff.

I recently asked a few of my favorite mentor moms for some parenting advice and book suggestions. I take this gig seriously, and try to keep studying up. The inspirational Donna (fun, realistic, faith-filled, homeschooling mom to a handful of kids, one being a sweety adopted from China) suggested this "get ya' thinking deeply" book.

The premise of the book is that we are to disciple our kids just as Jesus discipled his 12 disciples. It is Biblical, and is food for the parenting soul. Here are some quotes:


"Each of our children has been given a specific personality and a particular set of circumstances that will give shape to God's purpose for his or her life. It is our priviledge and responsibility as parents to help our children understand their particular fit in God's plan."


"We must strive as a family to keep our focus on the eternal, not the ordinary."

At the end of each section are verses to look up and questions to ponder. Some of them, really get us thinking. Like...

Write out a list of your child's characteristics (personality traits, etc.) that you believe God can use for His purposes.



Write down what tends to irritate you about your child and sometimes keeps you from showing God's gracious love. Pray and make a plan for how you will respond more graciously in those situations.


This is good stuff, folks. Deep thinking, deep studying and deep prayer about being good parents. It is the least we can do in return for the big gift we were given 21 months ago.

Anybody have other books to recommend?


Psalm 127:3 Beloved, children are a heritage from the Lord.

9 comments:

Dawn and Dale said...

I've followed your family for so very long now but I'm a terrible terrible commenter!! lol I had to drop in to say thank you for this post though! Hit the spot in my heart perfectly tonight. Especially for one of my precious boys!

Bless you!

Dawn. BC Canada

Steve said...

Sounds like a great book. I'll put that on my list.

There is no joy in the world like hearing your child pray. What a blessing and responsibility!

Anonymous said...

You remind me what an important job I have as a parent. This will be a must buy for me today!!

Adam, Jessica, Jake, & Emma said...

Thanks for this post! I really needed this. I was just complaining about one of my sweet child's irritating things he has been doing lately. :)
This spoke to my heart and I thank you for that! I love my 3 gifts and that is what they are! Have a great weekend and I will chat w/ you lately.

Donna said...

I'm humbled by your "shout out", Rebecca :) Thank you. I must pull this book back out and read again! So many books to read, and just not enough time. Maybe I should cut out sleep? Hmmm...

Andrea said...

HAVE IT!
LOVE IT!
Sally is a Wise Soul.
Love EVERYTHING she has written.

A

Janie said...

Rebecca I love your blog - you always have put some real thought into it. Mine tends to be a pictoral of the fun stuff we do rather than a place for deep thought. Thanks for the reminder!

And, yes I worked on my header, but it is not nearly as cool as yours, and I can't get the border centered around the picture - grr!

Windsor House said...

What a wonderful post. You sure have quite a way with words and they are always so thoughtful. Proud of you!
Love you guys.
PaPaw

Kam said...

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
[ Try right-clicking the image and then the text link below ]

Text Link

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source